Do you know how to Restart Your Garbage Disposal? We all know it – a non-functioning garbage disposal is probably the worst thing that can happen to anyone. Period. Luckily, with these five easy steps you might be able to save over $100, and fix your garbage disposal in about 30 seconds.
Is Your Disposal Broken or Stuck?
So here’s the thing, just because your garbage disposal isn’t working does not mean it’s broken. It could be the case that some food has jammed the motor, or that the power tripped a circuit breaker. In any case it’s worth it to try these two steps before calling a plumbing company.
You will need two things:
- 1/4″ allen wrench
- Your finger
Here’s the steps we’re going to be following:
- Make sure garbage disposal power cord is plugged in.
- Put allen wrench in flywheel hole and see if you can turn the allen wrench in any direction. If the allen wrench won’t move, then you most likely have a jam. Keep turning the allen wrench until the jam breaks, which means the allen wrench should spin inside the flywheel hole unobstructed. If you cannot break the jam, try moving onto step 3.
- Using your finger, press the red reset button.
- Try turning on the garbage disposal the way you normally would.
- If that doesn’t work, give your favorite plumber a call, because chances are you need a new garbage disposal.